Thursday, July 12, 2012

Buried Treasure

Seth Apter is looking for Buried Treasure.  That is, he's requested us to repost a favourite page from the past..  I've chosen this one from September 2011. 

I love doing miniatures, and one of my favourite themes is  the rainforest. These four sold before the opening night of the exhibition for which they were painted.


MINIATURE PAINTINGS    9/22/2011

I have always been interested in small works and have won a few prizes for miniatures over the years.

My latest are these mixed media/collage works on 4" x 4" canvas.

Rainforest Remnants I
Rainforest Remnants II

Rainforest Remnants III
Rainforest Remnants IV

Now that I see them in photos I feel I need to 'muck up' the edges of the collaged bits, and will do so forthwith.

The words are on inkjet transparency and, as a whole, read thus....

"We are losing Earth's greatest biological treasures just as we are beginning to appreciate their true value. Rainforests once covered 14% of the earth's land surface; now they cover a mere 6% and experts estimate that the last remaining rainforests could be consumed in less than 40 years.

One and one-half acres of rainforest are lost every second with tragic consequences for both developing and industrial countries.

Rainforests are being destroyed because the value of rainforest land is perceived as only the value of its timber by shortsighted governments, multi-national logging companies, and landowners.

Nearly half of the world's species of plants, animals and microorganisms will be destroyed or severely threatened over the next quarter century due to rainforest deforestation."

From:

http://www.rain-tree.com/facts.htm

7 comments:

  1. such beautiful miniatures Jo- and a great reminder about preserving our earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how gorgeously rich!! Love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love working small too... these works look wonderful. The info about the rainforest makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delightful! So happy to find someone else who loves working on small pieces. My post for Buried Treasure also focus on small works, a series of 2"x3" pieces I've been making to hang on my door at work for more than a year now. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed how you made the lovely art, then gave us a lesson of environmental awareness. Very impressive on both counts. Your art always speaks to me, Jo.

    ReplyDelete