Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Working my way up

My last post was ATCs...now we have 10cm x 10cm canvases.  Perhaps by Christmas I'll be back to 90cm x 90cm.

I am working on a series for the Rosebed St Gallery's Xmas show.  The theme and title is "Minutiae" - the small, precise, or trivial details of something.  Maybe past lives?



  

For this show I will have four groups of three images...this is the first group.  The works are all on 10cm x 10cm wide-edge canvas.

 

I have collaged snippets of red lace, and pieces of microfiche into this group.  The trivial details of past lives suggested, but obscure.  Somewhere there was some glamour, perhaps a news item.... fascinating huh?

Mark-making, and layering, all add to the overall picture. 

The next groups will be different palettes.
 

12 comments:

  1. What a great concept and trio! Love the colours too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvelous reds and blacks, bold and graphic Jo, and great texture too. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your interesting collage Jo, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fab series! I love how a series is each similar yet different - they can stand alone or look amazing together. I like finding the same marks or shapes in each yet seeing how they're distorted or multiplied or whatever to make a whole new look. While I understand the concept, for some reason I'm intimidated by the idea of a series - like somehow I won't have enough ideas to make 3 similar items. Maybe that'll be my 2014 goal - work in series! :) I always like the strength of red and black and the red lace is such a great addition to these - really reinforces the idea of past lives, yet the style is so modern and vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the layers. Such a strong color statement. Looks like you are moving to bigger and better things. Interesting idea of glimpses into the past. Sounds like a good title, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the whole idea they would look fabulous on my wall, Interested to see the other color palettes you will use

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this color combo and your wonderful compositions Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful colors and collages Jo!
    fun seeing your work your up ;)
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. great use of the microfiche - yet another relic from the pre-digital age that my son will probably never experience!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice use of fabric in these pieces Jo, love the compostions too. xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful! AND how exciting to be preparing for a show. Good luck and continued fun making your beautiful pieces, xoxo

    ReplyDelete